Restaurant Review Essay
The Internet has impacted many sectors in the world and changed the way people approach their daily chores. It has also led to the inception of many industries, for example, the review websites which unsurprisingly keep growing each and every day. Every day, millions of people around the world stream to review websites before they visit a certain dentist, visit a particular city, buy some shoes from a renowned seller, or book a table at an exotic restaurant. The influence of this budding industry cannot be ignored or downplayed because the wave is indeed felt all over the globe. One of the biggest sectors in the review business involves restaurants. A significant percentage of review websites visitors frequent the restaurant`s section. Reviews targeting restaurants often seek to help consumers or visitors to locate or discover the best spots or joints near them. These sites also help people avoid some joints. Review writing can be a challenge, but when given such an essay it is essential to focus on the fundamentals and ignore the non-essentials. This article will provide you with some tips to help you understand how to approach this type of review essay.
How to start restaurant review essay
To write a restaurant review, first of all, you need to gather some background information about the restaurant you wish to review. It would be improper to start writing the pros and cons of a restaurant without first telling the readers where the restaurant is located or what the opening hours of the restaurant are. Therefore, research is essential and must be done before writing the review. The audience needs to be taken through the restaurant’s details slowly before they are given information regarding the best cuisine or the mood or the ambiance of the joint.
Here are some tips to help you write a review essay:
- Offer some background information of the restaurant – it is important for the readers to have information such as the location of the restaurant, cuisine offered, the phone number of the restaurant, the opening days as well as hours. This information is indeed essential because it makes it easy for potential clients to access the joint faster or to avoid it in case they happen to find themselves within the vicinity.
- Make your stance/view or opinion about the restaurant known from the start – do not make the readers wait for you to finish the essay for them to find out you like or dislike the restaurant. Declare your stance or opinion of the restaurant in the introduction and then focus your energy on explaining why you took that position.
- Avoid the use of the pronoun I in every sentence – even though a restaurant review is about your eating experience at a certain restaurant, the use of first-person could give the review a subjective look. Use of the second-person, on the other hand, gives the review immediacy and often makes the readers feel represented in the review.
- Be more creative and avoid superlatives, for example, awesome, incredible, best, etc. – these words often mislead readers and do not provide them with a conclusive representation or evaluation of the restaurant.
How to write body of restaurant review essay
The body of an essay often develops from the introduction. Here, the writer mainly supports their assertions in the introduction and builds on the thesis statement. The body section is often bigger and has more paragraphs than the introduction and the conclusion unless you have been asked to write a three-paragraph essay.
In a restaurant review, the fundamentals primarily include food, the service or staff, and finally, the mood or ambiance or atmosphere in the restaurant. These three are often described in greater detail here, a body section and the writer is expected to be as objective as possible and avoid comparing their experience with another.
Here are tips on how to write the body section:
- Capture the restaurant’s ambiance or mood – the first paragraph of the body section should capture the atmosphere of the restaurant. Here, the writer should focus on how the sound within the restaurant, the sights inside the restaurant, and the smells within the restaurant. A detailed description of the decorations in the restaurant should be provided. Through such information, readers will find it easy to decide whether the restaurant fits their night out, official date or official duties.
- Provide a detailed evaluation of the staff and the service – regardless of the ambiance and the delicious nature of the food, customer service is always among the top most things people consider before they visit a restaurant. Dedicate an entire paragraph or two and describe how the staff treats people as well as how they handle emergencies. Focus primarily on their politeness, as well as courtesy.
- Review the cuisines offered – for a restaurant review to be termed comprehensive, it is necessary to have a full meal and then to offer your view of the same. Mention things like the prices, the texture, the spiciness of the food, as well as the presentation.
How to conclude restaurant review essay
In essay writing, a conclusion is the second most difficult part of writing. Like the introduction, it should leave a lasting impression on the readers.
Below are tips to help you write a conclusion:
- Reiterate your general stance or opinion of the restaurant.
- Provide a summary of the main points emphasizing on the most important ones.
- A majority of reviews also include a section where the writer asks the readers to either visit or not to visit the restaurant for review.